top of page
1835 Towns from Tennessee Gazetteer
And Old Post Office Towns (1835- Present)
Abingdon, a town laid off on the land of Jacob Moore, the county of McMinn, and established by the Legislature, December 1st, 1827
Athens, the seat of justice of McMinn county; situated on Estannallee creek, 165 miles south-east from Nashville. It contains about 500 inhabitants, four lawyers, four divines, two churches, four doctors, a male and female academy, one common school, ten stores, one tavern, one printing office, one painter, two hatters, two tailors, two shoemakers, two blacksmiths, ten carpenters, five cabinet makers, three tanners, two silversmiths, one wagon-maker, two mills, one factory, and one carding machine. Courts were removed from Calhoun to this place in 1823. In 1834, a branch of the 'Planter's Bank' was located here. It is 50 miles S. W. from Knoxville and 572 from Washington City.
Calhoun, a post town, in McMinn county, on the Hiwassee river, ten miles below Columbus, and fourteen miles south from Athens, below the mouth of Estannallee creek. It contains about a dozen families, one store, one tavern and five or six mechanics. It is 169 smies S. W. from Nashville, 70 S. W. from Knoxville and 611 from Washington City.
Cob's store, a post town in McMinn county
Columbus, a post town in McMinn county, situated on the Hiwassee river, due south from Athens, sixteen miles on the Georgia road. It contains eleven families, one doctor, one merchant, five mechanics, and one tavern.
Felicity, a post office in McMinn county, formerly Holt's Store.
Rogers' Creek, a post office in McMinn County
Smith's , a post office in McMinn county, established in 1833
Cantrell’s Cross Roads
Caruth’s Cross Roads
Hamilton’s Cross Roads
bottom of page